My Birthday Resolution: Habit of Kindness
A birthday is like a personal Yom Kippur, and a time for reflection and good resolutions. My birthday is on the 9th day of the omer which is the day of "severity of severity" (click here to learn more about sefiras haomer and how you can fulfill this easy mitzvah).
Like everyone else I know, I have character flaws that keep popping up again and again. My character flaws seem to revolve around "severity" and I've been reflecting on how I can incorporate a little bit more "kindness" into my life.
It really got me thinking about the Rebbe's mitzvah campaign of tzedakah. Obviously, tzedakah was a mitzvah before his campaign, but the Rebbe had a unique angle:
- Everyone should have a pushka (charity box) in their home and office
- It shouldn't have an organization's name on it
- Best if it's attached to the wall
- It's not about how much you give, rather the habit of giving
- You should give at least once every day, especially before praying and double on Friday